Hello Kitty

Here’s a picture of my very first intarsia project and bag.

Hello Kitty Bag

The bag itself is based off the Poster Boy bag from Stitch n’ Bitch Nation. I found the picture of Hello Kitty online and I graphed it out at Mircorevolt’s Knit Pro , and I determined my size based on the graph and my gauge. I knit the front and the back separately and I seamed them together. (Poster Boy is knit in the round and the image on that bag is knit Fair Isle.) The lining is a pale yellow flannel with a pink outfitted version of the same Hello Kitty Angel, hand sewn into the bag. Yarn used was Lion Brand’s Wool-Ease, worsted weight in Azalea Pink, Blue Heather (which doesn’t photograph as Blue Heather), Butter Cup, and Fisherman. I found that I was able to use less than one skein of yarn per side of the bag. The black was duplicate stitched using sport weight yarn (I used Red Heart Sport in black). That was kind of tedious, but I think it helped lessen the number of bobbins I had hanging at the back of my work.

Intarsia wasn’t as bad as some people made it out to be. Not sure if that’s because of the image I chose. There were times when I had to stop and untangle my bobbins from one another, and other times when I was going to put the work down and I had to carefully arrange my yarn bobbins and set them in such a way as to not tangle when I was not working on the stitch.

I’d say it took about a month to do the entire bag.  I’m very happy with how it turned out, and even more happy that my first attempt at altering a pattern didn’t end up in total disaster.  :)

The lucky recipient of this bag was my niece. I am happy to say that she loves it.

2 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Abi
    Apr 25, 2008 @ 07:18:29

    This is fabulous, especially now that Ms Kitty is a Vogue cover girl! Do you have a pattern you could share?

  2. msannomalley
    Apr 26, 2008 @ 18:11:38

    Abi, thank you. :) I don’t have a pattern, per se. The bag itself is from the Poster Boy pattern from the book Stitch n Bitch Nation, and I graphed the image at http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/. I had to mod the pattern to work with the image I picked out after I graphed it. I knit the front and the back as two pieces because of the intarsia (the original pattern was knit in the round and involved fair isle). The number of cast on stitches and rows worked with my image and the gauge I got when I swatched. I did follow the Poster Boy pattern for the handles. The fabric dimensions, again, had to work with the final size of the bag.

    If you’re confident enough in your ability to mod an existing pattern, you could pick out your own image and make your own! I had a lot of fun doing this. :)

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.